roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

We purchased a 09 Crown Vic Police Interceptor at auction

Customer Question

We purchased a 09 Crown Vic Police Interceptor at auction and while the car runs very well and was well maintained overall we are having an issue with heating and A/C as well as an engine light.
According to the OBD sensor tool the engine light code is P0125 which states that the engine coolant is not heating to temperature.
We have not yet replaced the thermostat but are hoping that is the problem.
The question is, if our coolant temperature is not high enough (dash temperature gauge reads just below mid range) why do we have very hot heat pouring out of the vents at all times?
1. I can cycle the AC on, and get heat at all levels.
2. I can turn the system on vent or mix with temp turned down to cold and instead of outside cool air I get heat, not warm heat but hot.
3. I can drive around with no heat turned on at all and warmth still radiates.
4. The AC system seems to have been overcharged as the pressure broke the gauges just by hooking 2 recharge kits up
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the temp needs to be around 195 for the pcm to be satisfied. when it is lower from a partially open thermostat, it will code. you will still feel good heat at around 175 so it is not unusual to think the heat is normal.

if you think the ac is overcharged, then remove all freon, evacuate the system and charge with exact amount.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Roy,Thanks for your reply. Wouldn't the excessive heat (even when the temperature dial is turned all the way down) we are experiencing indicate another possible issue? Particularly considering the inability to access vent/outside unheated air? The thermostat operating temp ranges we are aware of and the thermostat is our first planned replacement, after that coolant sensors. The heating issue is where we are stumped and unsure if there is something else going on that we should look for. Would a stuck open thermostat cause air to blow hot all the time? The AC was mentioned in case it might be tied to the problem somehow.I apologize if I was unclear about what we are trying to figure out. I hope I explained it better this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That should read: "Would a stuck or malfunctioning thermostat cause air to blow hot all the time while still not allowing coolant temp to reach proper levels."From what my mind is grasping they would do the opposite.
Example:
Stuck open thermostat = coolant not reaching temp, no heat, low heat.
Stuck closed thermostat = overheat, excessive hot. Temp gauge peaking.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks. there is a blend door motor that controls heat/cooling. if the motor is not working correctly it will not allow proper cooling. this part is a common failure for temp controls. the down side is the location. it is at the top of the dash under the windshield on the passenger side. the dash has to be moved back to gain access to the motor.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out??

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out????