HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2005 Ford ranger 4.0L V6 it runs 5 to 10 Seconds

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford ranger 4.0L V6 it runs for about 5 to 10 Seconds and dies.
I have replaced the Plugs wires and Coil pack as well as the TPS, MAF, IAC and checked fuel rail pressure and fuel pump and filter and it steal wil not idle any longer then 5 to 10 SECONDS WHAT IS WRONG
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello is this a 4.0 SOHC engine? Does the red theft lamp flash when you turn the key to on? No codes stored or you had codes that prompted you to replace the parts. Will it run if you hold the throttle part throttle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Red lamp has never been on The Check engine light cam on with a P2195 and this is what they at for to do and to look for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not run just bogg down and die
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry yes it is 4.0L SOHC
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok and fuel pressure is good and doesnt leak down? How many miles on the engine?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it says you are requesting a phone call but having issues on your end, we dont have to do one. Im just looking to see if the engine has a lot of miles and this problem happened while driving or you just came out and started having issues or after a recent repair./

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Pressure maintained at 55LBS for over ten minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Engine is a new crate engine from ford with only 120 ,miles
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, does the engine sound like it cranks over normal or does it seem to hiccup or be a little slower? Did the vehicle die while driiving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Engines cranks over very well no the engine light came on one morning and I have tried to get it running for about a week
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

And when it dies it restarts every time so its hard to see if you got fuel injector pulse and spark besides fuel pressure?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Will it run with the maf unplugged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will start right back up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

And it will stop stalling with the maf unplugged and have power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it will still stall but it run at a higher RPM
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

A vacuum leak would be the main thing that comes to mind, if you block off the pcv valve or brake booster vacuum line will it run

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the first thing taht I check for Vac leak But I have not tried to Block off the PCV and Brake Booster Vac Lines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try that and get back to you if you want
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Thats fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I reach you tomorrow or later tonight
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes im on most everyday im on pacific time so its only 630 here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll be intouch
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good, soon as I see you post ill respond

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I tried it about six times it sounds like it is starving for fuel
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok you can check for injector pulse

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Spray carb cleaner into the intake see if it still runs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will be intoch
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I tried the carb cleaner it ran about the same time just at a higher RPM.
So I'm going to check the injected and see if they are all good or what and I will get back to you then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I mean the injecters
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good. also check fuel quality too, take a sample at the rail or the filter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I will be intouch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is it that keeps the. fuel pump relay active after it starts. It acts like it runs until the fuel rail is exhausted and then dies
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The eec power relay engerizes the fuel pump relay and the pcm supplies the ground to the fuel pump relay with an rpm signal from the crankshaft position sensor, when you turn the key to on it primes the pump,so when it doesnt run make sure you have rpm and injector pulse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check to make sure I have that and we can go from there. Is there a way to test the pcm
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Just power and ground, vref voltage. communciation with a scan tool and inputs key on engine off test

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

monitor rpm signal when cranking and stalls while cranking should be a couple hundred rpm steady signal. CKP sensor can fail from coolant leak or go bad over time on right side of engine by crank pully or the crank pulley is seperated and not reading correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ckp tested ok
RPM 214 and 894 when running
tried 10. times with about the same results will have to remove the intake mana fold. To test the injectors
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok and you can unplug the coil and see if they injector continue to fire normally

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Even though the TPS is new, make sure it is reading around one volt closed throtlle and not giving a false reading of wide open throttle which will disable the fuel injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check that and get back to you.
with the out come of the tps and the injectors
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

very good, let me know when you can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You dont have to reply back t me until you need more help. Im just replying right now so it takes your question off need for a respnse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well L tested all the injectors and one was bad . I replaced it and put the intake back on and it still runs for 5 or 10 seconds and died
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok will the engine continue to run if you hold the throttle part way down? No codes now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it just boggs down and dies. The only code is P2195
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok the code says bank one the passenger side is running lean, what cylinder injector did you replace and how did you know it was bad, was it not firing or leaking down fuel ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not click very fast it was slow it was number 3 it new now and click as fast as the rest
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Running out of things to check here, what is the fuel quality like,Also have you tried dropping the exhaust to see if you have a restriction

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel is chevron premium My exhust was checked at midas for any problem with the cats and muffler and they said it was in good shape
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Then im out of ideas as to what to check since it starts, stalls and fires right back up so I will opt out and open this question to see if another expert can assist you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that sound good I hope we can fix this today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ckecked MAF sensor it has 12v on terminal A and I found voltage on the two other terminals for the air temp sensor it is only 5.5v should the air temp sensor have voltage with just the key on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it is back firing into the intake L give up I have checked everything and now this