Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I had my master cylinder changed more then 4 times, two

Customer Question

I had my master cylinder changed more then 4 times, two brakes lines changed and bled throughly. I had the master brake line changed and bled throughly. My brake pedal seem to be going to the floor. I have a 2001 Ford Escape XL. Could it be the brakes?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

1. Clamp off the brake hoses to the front and rear wheels and retest to see if the pedal still fades. If it does not, remove the clamps one at a time and see which is allowing the pedal to fade and service as necessary.

2. If the pedal still fades, remove the brake lines from the replacement master cylinder and put plugs in place of the brake lines and retest for pedal fade. If the pedal still fades, replace the defective master cylinder.

3. If the pedal does not fade, about all that is left short of a leaking brake line, is a bad Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU).

4. Remove the dust cap of the accumulator at the HCU- these will be two rubber caps or plugs located below where the brake lines connect to the HCU. Take a straightened paper clip and put it in the small hole that is under each dust cap and have a helper apply the brake. If either paper clip moves out as the brakes are applied, the HCU is internally leaking and will need replacement.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Also, you can remove and block off the hydraulic control unit. If the pedal no longer goes to the floor, perform electronic ABS bleed procedure, if this does not resolve it, suspect hydraulic control unit faults.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the anti lock brakes bled with a compatible scan tool?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to see if you need any additional information.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get get a positive rating.