Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4. With the A/C

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4. With the A/C running, when I accelerate it stops blowing out the vents but not stop blowing. When I let off the gas it starts operating properly again. I have replaced and zip tied all the vacuum hoses at the vacuum actuator on the firewall behind the battery and even the hose at the vacuum reserve box on the battery box. My ABS light comes on frequently also. I can't find the vacuum leak. Any ideas????
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the vacuum reservoir is cracked and leaking, if not add an additional reservoir which will take care of the problem assuming you have no vacuum leaks. Verify the vacuum supply to the controls on the Black (BK) hose is manifold vacuum and maintains that vacuum under load (should not drop below roughly 15" vacuum).If the vacuum does drop off, inspect all vacuum lines for any damage. Also locate the vacuum reservoir in the evaporator case and check for physical damage to the reservoir or poor hose connections there.If the vacuum supply to the controls is good, check each of the other colored hoses to make sure that they all pump up and hold vacuum. If any of the hoses do not hold vacuum, locate the vacuum actuator at the other end of that hose and check the actuator itself to verify it holds vacuum. If not, replace the actuator and retest.If the actuator in question holds vacuum when applied at the actuator, but not at the control panel, locate and repair the damage to the hose in between. The abs light usually means one of the front wheel speed sensors or rear axle speed sensor but you will need to check abs codes to know for sure. Most part stores will check codes for free. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the actuator last week with no change. I have pulled the lines off in that area and can hear the "sucking" vacuum noise. Is the line that runs through the firewall the one that controls the vent actuator? can that be checked from inside the vehicle?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The line that goes into firewall goes into vacuum reservoir, then splits off into the actuator. It can be checked from inside but you will have to pull out some of heater controls/dash to access. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.