Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I'm having issues with a 2001 3.8l mustang getting the panic

Customer Question

I'm having issues with a 2001 3.8l mustang getting the panic alarm to shut off so that the car will start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

With the key on, after 5 seconds, what is the theft light doing?

Any aftermarket electronics on the vehicle?

One of the more common overlooked issues that people presume is a theft issue is a weak battery. Is your battery at 12.6 volts?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key on for 5 seconds, no theft light.
no aftermarket electronics except speakers
battery is fine, cleaned terminals to make sure connection is good, performed load test, passed readily.
Motocycles for 46 years, cars for 43.
This one's got me stumped.
Still feel it's in the factory alarm/panic system, but am not sure of an easy way to bypass it.
Checked PATS, no issue.
Alarm comes on when door is first opened, again when ignition is shut off.

With the key off or removed the theft light should flash slow. With the key turned on to run the theft light should come on for a couple seconds then remain off. If there is a PATS issue preventing starting. With the key on the theft light should flash rapid.

The check engine light should be on with the key on, indicating the PCM is powered up, is it on?

Do you know how to bypass the starter relay and force it to crank with the key on, if not I can explain that.

Any codes stored?

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.