Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

I hope so. I just bought a used car 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

Customer Question

I hope so. I just bought a used car 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac for my son and the car is beautiful. All seems fine and the gentleman who sold it to me said several issue wer resolve. But when I put a computer reader on it it now shows several codes Do they need to be cleared or do they clear them selves
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, was the check engine light on when you bought it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it came on after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the gentleman told me it was checked yesterday and all was good
I feel stupid
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

odd, and all those codes are there now? correct? I know most but not all of them, I have to pull each up, Back shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be that they are just in the history. The car drives solid and doesnt skip or hesitate at all. Idle is good and brakes are good and it rides tight.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

bear with me, not simple answer as have to go through many diagrams., back shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Ok, yes, all these could? be in history but why was the light out when you got it then it came back on, Some of these codes will self clear after a few or more drive cylces, NOT all of them if setting what we call a hard code. The B codes? no real issue, just means the battery went low at some point and was jumped, 4 of the codes all point to 02 sensors, one is for the speed semsor in the trans, so,, to answer you? you have only 2 choices, You can try? unhooking the battery cables, holding the terminsal ends together for 90 seconds, this may clear all the codes or the proper way? you need to find a way to have a scanner clear the codes and see if any return, No promise on the termianl hold in clearing all of them., I suspect there is something still being detected by the computer, Which one? no way to say,.I lean to the hard codes like 02 sensor codes, The other codes I am not too concerned about, he may have tried just the terminal clearing as well and it did not work so,, do that first, hold ends together, then drive till light comes back on, Then scan real quick and look up the codes, I bet o2 sensor and related and it needs o2 sensors

If you can find a local shop to at least clear the codes or get a code reader capable of doing this? this may be all that is needed, since you say it runs and shifts and drives just fine,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Randall! I will do this. I just want my son to be safe. I called the seller and he told me that he will send me all the repair records and that he thinks it is related to the gas cap. He said that this sends a evap pressure sensor code
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

yes, that is ONE of the codes but nothing to do with the rest 4 of them are o2 sensor rel;ated, 100%, one is for low battery at some point, Bad o2 sensors will NOT keep it from running or driving, will set about 4 codes for rich/lean etc but not leave him stranded,Oh, gas miles will be lower,, really that is the worst case

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are excellent. God Bless you and thank you!
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** confident all will go ok, Just could not go into huge details for each code,

Please remember to rate my service I provided you today. Many thanks!!