Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 1994 Ford Escort LX with the 1.9. It will turnover

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford Escort LX with the 1.9. It will turnover but will not start. Has spark, timing belt in place, checked safety switch seems to be working. Removed the fuel pump. Has power to connections on pump but it does not prime or run. When I disconnected it from the plug connector and jump it to the battery it works. What am I missing ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you check for ground on the black wires at fuel pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power and ground to the pump when it is hooked up.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Backprobe connector so you can monitor power while trying to start with fuel pump plugged in. Let me know what voltage reading is on both black/white wires while trying to start. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not by car right now but I will check it tomorrow. It just doesn't make sense to me that the pump won't run while plugged in but will when taken out and jump off battery. I was just using a test light and it would have prime power and power to the prongs right on the pump itself. The light seemed to be bright like a good 12volts going to it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The only explanation for having good power/ground while testing but not operating pump is a poor connection. It could either be a poor connection at fuel pump connector or somewhere else in circuit. Using a meter or test light doesn't put the same load on circuit as fuel pump so may not show the problem. Let me know how it goes tomorrow and we will go from there, it sounds like running a new wire may be fix. Let me know, thanks.