Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Have a 2005 Thunderbird. On hot day, AC, if set on Auto or

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Thunderbird. On hot day, AC, if set on Auto or just regular blows coldly for about an hour then switches off and blows Very Hot air. Same scenario next day or even a couple of hrs. later when engine cools down, air blows coldly then in even shorter time blows hot air. Two different air conditioning shops not able to replicate this, having run the car in idle for over an hour each time. The pressures read low and conclude it's the expansion valve ( maybe ) but estimate the cost to be $1150-1300.00 to see if it is.
I would appreciate any advice you might have. Tom/ ***@******.*** or(###) ###-####
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is most likely a bad evaprator tem sensor, not the expansion valve, and when they go bad, they give false freezing temp reading and shut down the compressor, until it warms up, which I believe is whats happenng, I have done dozens of these for the exact poblem, do you know if they read the evap temp sensor readings , hen it would not cool?