James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have the exact same problem as described here, code p242d,

Customer Question

I have the exact same problem as described here, code p242d, the truck died, and it will not crank now. Why will it not crank with this code?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is this a diesel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
08 f350
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What happened is one of your exhaust gas temp sensors has failed. The sensor that failed is number three. It will be closest toward the rear of the vehicle. Replacing this sensor will correct your concern. Once the sensor is replaced the code needs to be cleared. Sometimes the starter will need to be jumped the first time in order to bypass the safety. After its bypassed one time it will run and start like normal all over again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you; one other thing, at the dealership how do you clean the particulate filter?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The dealer can do a dynamic or static regeneration. This is done while driving the vehicle or while having the scan tool perform the regeneration.