Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 92 bronco, 5.0, e4od trans. I have owned this truck

Customer Question

Good evening, I have a 92 bronco, 5.0, e4od trans. I have owned this truck for a number of years. And it has always contained a puzzle: someone had connected a wire from the coast clutch wire near the harness connector by the fire wall to grnd, with a bulb socket seriesed in. If u remove the bulb to open the grnd I get the error; "coast clutch circuit open". I repaired circuit problem at trans connector, the error is gone. But if the grnd is removed. After starting the engine, and engaging drive, trans only partially engages, until I press the o d button:(od off), then once the od is turned back on, it drives fine with no codes. Subsequent shifts to park, reverse, and back to drive around all fine until I shut it off. Replacing the grnd wire solves this problem with no codes, (for now), although it shifts slightly harder. Trans also has a hard 1-2 shift. I have gotten rid of the " open circuit " error. However I would like it to be normal without that gnd wire. I've worked hard to fix a lot of 'bugs', but this one still " bugs me".
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

hello, so a bulb socket was wired into the coast clutch circuit from the transmission way up on the firewall and the ground side of the bulb socket is what is in question or an individual ground that was added on?