EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2007 ford ranger 4.0L. Have code B2909, replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2007 ford ranger 4.0L. Have code B2909, replaced the seatbelt tensioner twice and cleared the codes and still coming back. which makes me to believe this is a wiring issue? not sure where to start as don't have wiring schematic
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Here is the definition of your code.

Normal Operation

The belt tension sensor (BTS) operates in conjunction with the occupant classification sensor (OCS) system. The occupant classification system module (OCSM) interprets a variable voltage signal provided by the safety BTS to identify the possible presence of a child safety seat in the passenger front seat. The voltage output of the BTS is proportional to the amount of tension applied to the sensor by the belt, no tension low voltage (approximately 0.95 volt), high tension high voltage (approximately 3.8 volts).

The OCSM checks the BTS and circuits for faults. If the OCSM detects a fault on any of the BTS circuits, it will set and store DTC B2909 in memory and send a message to the restraints control module (RCM). The RCM will store DTC B2290 in memory and send a message to the instrument cluster (IC) module to illuminate the air bag warning indicator.

The OCS system components (seat wiring harness, seat cushion frame, seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor and OCSM) are calibrated to each other and are serviced as an assembly. The OCS system components are not to be installed separately with the exception of the BTS. The BTS is part of the passenger safety belt retractor assembly. If a new OCS system component or seat cushion foam pad are needed, a new OCS system service kit must be installed as an assembly.

Did you replace passenger or driver seat belt retractor? Also did you replace the air bag module or the occupant classification module? And did you have it programmed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front crash sensors replaced, air bag module replaced, both seat belt tensioners have been replace. And the occupant classification module. So that module has to be reprogrammed??
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The ocs needs to be initialized so it can zero out the weight on the front seat.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The air bag module needs to be programmed though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I calibrated the Seat already my scanner is able to do it And still he code is on. And sorry I was thinking of a different truck as I work on a lot of Rangers. I have only replaced the tensioner on this one and the occupant module as this one was not in an accident. This one only has the air bag light on for the right seat tensioner..
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The code is for the sensor that is part of the passenger seat belt retractor.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. did you get your airbag light to go off? Let me know if you need more help or if not please rate my service. Thanks.