EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2007 Ford Escape remote starter honks five times and ten

Customer Question

2007 Ford Escape remote starter honks five times and ten times with no start. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The most common cause for remote starters to honk like that is if there is a problem with the hood switch. The hood switch under the hood needs to see a good ground when the hood is closed for the remote starter module to start. Otherwise it thinks the hood is opened.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That would be the first thing I'd check. Then you could try disconnecting the remote start module and reconnecting it to reset its power. That sometimes does work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a factory installed remote starter. The book gives diagnostics for five horn chirps to mean the key is in the ignition. It isn't of course. I tried all the stuff you mentioned already. And the book has no diagnostic code for ten horn chirps. Five first, then ten. Does this help at all?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Helps a little, but I did not think that 10 horn chips was even a code. Like you said. Normally when your key is out of the ignition, does the key-in chime still go off? You should make sure that is working correctly. The noise is similiar to when you leave the headlights on and turn the car off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key in chime does not go off unless the key is in. The lights on chime also works as it should. I do notice that when the starter goes through its pre-start cycle the key in chime is ringing then.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I think it will because the lights are turned on. It is the headlight chime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Either way I think I may have to find out who makes the starter for ford and see if they have any input.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

There name is ***** ***** module. I beleive it is code alarm. I have installed several of these at the dealer before. One other thing. If you are sitting in it and remote start it does the theft light blink rapidly when it fails to remote start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why yes it does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stays blinking while the horn is doing its chirps too.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like the key or the bypass unit they use to bypass the vehicles security system is not programmed to the car anymore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there something I can do or is that a dealer thing?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

A dealer will need to reprogram the remote starter bypass. A business that installs remote starts usually have a guy that drives around to dealers to install starters. You could ask around for dealers that sublet there remote starts because those guys are good at reprogramming.. Also,, in the instructions you have for the starter does it say anything about programming the starter unit after install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I only have the instruction manual that came with the vehicle and no installation manual. I'mgoing to try and find it online.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I have the programming instructions from Ford for the remote starter. I can send you an offer through the website to purchase the instructions in a savable, printable, PDF format. You can choose to accept or decline.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the effort you went through to get me the programming info but I found it already. I may have found one of my problems too. I noticed my bypass unit is tied up to the steering column support with zip ties and it's made of a stamped steel plate. The instructions say it can't be near any big metal objects. I work away from home but I'll be back Wednesday to try and remedy that. Thanks for your help so far. I'll let you know in a few days how I made out
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok cool. Sounds good.