James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2001 F350 Power stroke dually. Last night the od

Customer Question

I have a 2001 F350 Power stroke dually. Last night the od light flashed, cruse didn't work, speedo bounced, and sometimes it sounded like a faint back-up beeper was going off. I also noticed a faint humming in the alternator after engine was off and heater fan still runs with the ignition off. Unplugging the alt. stops the hum. It did this for the entire 2.5 hour trip. This spring same things were going on except no beeping. it threw a VSS code. Replaced the VSS on the differential and it was fixed. This time no code. Both time it was raining. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, so can you please tell me what issues were fixed and what you still have a problem with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This spring I replaced the VSS to fix the problems I had them. No cruse, blinking od light, and bouncing speedo. Now I have some of the same problems plus the hum in the alt. heater fan runs with ignition off, and I could occasionally hear what sounded like a faint back-up beeper. I used my scanner but no trouble codes show up.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If the speedo isn't working correctly if the speedo isn't working correctly then that can cause the cruise control not to work correctly. If the alternator is making weird noises it can be sending electronic feedback signals messing up the VSS signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think the alternator is bad? In years past I have had alt. issues. I replaced it every year for three years. This one has been on for probably three or four years.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The alternator gives off EMF and when they fail they can give off more than normal noise. This can cause electrical signals to become erratic if bad enough. I would for sure have the alternator tested first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll get that done first, and as soon as I can. May get back to you later if problems continue.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Sounds great. You can update this page as you need to. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.