A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I picked up an older 2002 ford explorer sport 2 door with

Customer Question

I picked up an older 2002 ford explorer sport 2 door with the 4.0 engine a couple weeks ago. It has 120K. I just changed out the blower mtr. resistor plus I also put in a whole new blower motor while i was at it. I got the blower motor running just fine on all settings. I don't think it had been running for a long time. While going this far i decided to see if i could charge up the a/c. After about 1/2 of the first can the compressor clutch started cycling on and off. I ended up putting in three cans. The a/c is coming out nice and cold now but i noticed the clutch continues to cycle on when it drops around 25 psi and then it kicks back off at about 42 psi. I'm happy with the temp that's coming out the vent but should i add more freon until the compressor stays on consistently? Also how do I know if i have rear a/c? I do have a rear vent in the center console but no rear temp controls? Pardon my very novice questions but I'm certainly no mechanic.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The Explorer Sport does not have rear AC. Only some of the 4 door Explorers had it.

The system could be a little low on Freon, but put a thermometer in the center AC registers and drive the vehicle with the AC on MAX and see what the temperature is out of the vents. It may feel cool to the hands, but see what the actual temperature is. It should be about 43 degrees, + or - 3 degrees.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'll check it out tomorrow. On max a/c should the compressor be running constant if full on freon?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

It depends on the outside temperature and the humidity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

But check the temperature at the center vents while driving.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do. i have a pocket thermometer that should work for that. thanks
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any more help.