Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 Ford Expedition with a 4.6L. About a month ago the

Customer Question

2003 Ford Expedition with a 4.6L. About a month ago the radio would not shut off after opening the door. The door chimes still work. The last week sometimes it would not shift out of park. When this happens the instrument cluster was dead. Truck was running both all gauges were dead. Yesterday the truck stalled while driving. I was able to jump it and get it home. It seemed to be down on power quite a bit. The day before the truck stalled, I pulled the radio fuse. So the battery wouldn't drain, even turning the radio off the battery would still die (new battery last year). Before pulling the radio fuse I pulled the accessory relay and swapped it with another one. With the accessory relay out the radio was still on. I'm thinking it's the fuse box. Any ideas? Thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

We have had issues with water leaking onto the dash fuse box and the GEM module mounted on the back of the fuse box causing all kinds of electrical problems. You can remove the fuse box and GEM module and check for green corrosion in the bulk wire connectors for the fuse box. Also check for water staining on the fuse box and GEM module. The leak is from a body seam under the drivers side of the wiper cowl panel where the left front fender meets the body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the GEM module located? I removed the fuse box, there was no water or corrosion. So a leak on the drivers side makes it all the way across to the passenger side?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. Though it was a 2000.

The 2003 does have the fuse box behind the passenger side kick panel. Before replacing any parts, have all the modules checked for trouble codes. Including the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't trust it enough to drive it any where to get the codes checked. Do you know where the gem module is on the 2003?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The 2003 Expedition does not have a GEM module. The dash fuse box controls those functions now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm completely unsatisfied with the answers, I would like a refund. I could get that answer from my local parts store for free.