Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2004 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0l. My friend drained

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2004 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0l. My friend drained the tranny fluid instead of the oil. With this tranny you have to pump it in. I pumped 4 quarts in minus a little spillage and then started the truck and put it in reverse. After a second or
two it would clunk into gear same with putting it in drive. I added another quart same thing. Do I keep adding quarts or is there something else wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

During a normal trans oil service it takes about 5-6 quarts of oil. While running in park, colder than operating temp. Remove the center drain plug from the large drain plug. You want the fluid coming back out in a small stream just about to drip rather than steady. Then its full. I prefer to force oil up through the drain plug with a axle oil cap on my trans oil quart. Once done road test it and adjust if needed once it cools back off doing the same prior steps.

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean steady stream about to drip?

When liquid is pouring out, it is in a steady stream. When your about out of liquid the stream will turn into a drip. You cap it off and call it filled to the correct level, right about this transition stream to fast drip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not following why would I Cap it off after I let the fluid out? I'm trying to fill it back up to the correct level

There are 2 drain plugs. One to drain it and one to get the fluid level correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand there's two drain plugs. It's not clear how to check the fluid. Please let me know how to check step by step. Thanks

With the engine running in park

With the transmission not up to operating temp

Remove the center drain plug

Add trans oil.

When the fluid starts pouring out the drain plug, stop adding fluid

When the pouring fluid goes from a steady stream to a fast drip, install the drain plug, your done.

I sent a invitation prior for me to upload the Ford steps if you would prefer them.

I hate that you came here wanting and paying for help and appears to me you left not happy, and found my assistance not worth rating. I am still here to help if the problem is your needing more assistance on this concern.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm at the point where you said add trans oil. I have to add trans oil through that center drain plug, so how do see fluid coming out of the drain plug if I have the tube screwed on and im adding fluid?

The tube is clear, you stop adding fluid to see if its coming out. If fluid is coming out then remove the tube and watch the fluid coming out. Once it goes from a stream to a drip, it is at the correct level, cap it off and drive it.