HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ok,. I just replaced the rack and pinion on my 1998 Ford

Customer Question

Ok, ***** *****. I just replaced the rack and pinion on my 1998 Ford Windstar. The right side seal was blown. When I bled the system and started up, the steering wheel just about tore my hand off. Wildly swinging left and right. The remanufactured rack came with the orifice in the hp line side. I still have the one from my original. Should I pull the provided one and reinstall the one from my old unit?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, i would double check the hook up to the steering rack, on some applications you can install the lines backwards and when you do it will cause the steering wheel to whip to one side

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm fairly sure that they are on the right way...Could this be caused by air entrapped in the system? I know that the high pressure line is the one that is solid tubing all the way to the pump, while the lip return is part flexible line. The upper port is the one that has the check valve in it, so I am confident that the lines are in the right order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the response took so long, I had to meet with a client at our office.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Thats ok, yes thats the main thing ive seen especially on windstars is people hook the lines up backs at the rack. If they are in the correct orientation you can try to swap out the valve and retest. Could be a defective new rack.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?