rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2006 ford freestar that today, i just replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford freestar that today, i just replaced the starter, the battery, an, but it still will not crank
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Be sure all the cables are good, and check to see if the security light is on or flashing. This can be a security issue not allowing power to the starter/solenoid. If that's the case, it would need to be diagnosed as to what function has failed, keys, etc.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Security light is not on.I cleaned all the cable connections, including ground wire to body. Starter/ignition relays can be heard kicking on, but still no crank.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

ok, then we need to check for power at the starter/solenoid from the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that the thick wire that bolts down or the smaller wire with connector. do i just hook up meter and see if it has power initially, and then measure voltage when i turn the key?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

check them both with key off and key on. you only need a test light, but if you have a DVOM, then you can measure the exact voltages.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the large wire I have 11 volts when no key, on smile wire i have 0 volts. When key is turned, both small and large wires both have 11 volts
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

ok, so the circuits are ok from the battery and ignition switch. check the small wire while cranking position. Why did you initially replace the starter and battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
small wire in cranking position gets 11 volts. I replaced the starter because the old starter, the small wire came unsoldered from it, and it was super rusty, so I figure I would replace it before winter. Upon replacing it, it still would not start, so I had the battery tested, and it was bad, so I replaced that. Both of these were done in the last 24 hours.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

OK, this sure seems to be related to the security system at this point, and a scan tool would need to be used to isolate the problem now.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scan tool
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Great, check all the communications between all the modules to check for talking on the network, then check the security module for codes.