AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I reinstalled the original 2.3 engine into my 2008 Ford

Customer Question

I reinstalled the original 2.3 engine into my 2008 Ford Ranger. It cranks, but no start. No spark. The check engine light goes out when cranking and there is battery voltage to the center wire of the coil. What do I check next.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Your next step would be to check the ground signal trigger from the PCM to the ignition coils. If the PCM is not pulsing the coils to fire, the PCM is bad and will need to be replaced. You are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check for that signal?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

You can use a test light to check the ground signal trigger. You would just hook it up backwards to check for the ground signal trigger.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need more detail. What kind of lamp? Connected from where to where?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Use a simple test light like this one

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

The aligator clip goes on battery positive while the tip of the test light gets touched to the signal wires at the ignition coil.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Blue/brown wire and the white wire

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram. The ignition coil is on the bottom of the diagram.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

Best Regards

Amedee

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test lamp results with alligator clip on battery positive: blue brown wire - no light at ignition on or crank. White wire - no light at ignition on or crank. Violet wire lights with ignition off, but no light at ignition on or crank.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

The test light will flicker very dim if there is a ground signal trigger on that circuit. Be sure you do this at night or in a dark garage as this flicker is hard to see. If no pulse, the PCM is bad. If there is a pluse but no spark, then the coil is bad.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.

Amedee

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pulse that I can see. I'm thinking that there is something that I left unplugged when I reinstalled the engine. Any ideas?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It is very possible. I would go right to the PCM connector and see if the PCM is grounding those circuits while cranking. If so, then yes, something is disconnected or left loose between the PCM and ignition coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check on Monday. I'll need to lower the transmission to get to the connections on the back of the engine.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you have any further questions or need any further assistance? If so, I will be happy to help! Please let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything was connected. I found (quite by accident that the engine would start with the throttle position sensor disconnected. Replaced the TPS and the engine starts and runs fine. Now I'm chasing a clutch issue.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Thats correct. The TPS was shorting out the PCM. THis was preventing the no start condition.