Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2002 wind star has just developed a whining/whistling noise

Customer Question

2002 wind star has just developed a whining/whistling noise on de acceleration. Happens at all speeds down to 35 kmh wether braking or not. Any ideas
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Based on your initial description, it sounds like a wheel bearing. Does the sound change at all while turning or going around curves in either direction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note noise only on deacceleration

It is completely nonexistent when at cruising speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it is most likely just not noticeable unless your decelerating. all the same items within the drive train are moving whether at cruising speeds or upon deceleration. The main difference is when slowing down the weight shifts to the front of the vehicle, making items like bad bearings more noticeable. Thats why I had asked about taking curves. Curves place more weight on the bearing and make the sound more pronounced when a bearing is bad.

Does it sound like it's coming from the front or the rear of the van?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front. I would expect wheel bearing to be more of a grinding noise than a whistle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would also expect to feel it in steering wheel

wheel bearings make more of a whining or moaning sound, When they are very bad they will make a grinding sound, but that's when they are very bad. You usually don't feel it in the steering wheel. Without hearing it I can not say for certain what it is, but do you have access to a mechanics stethoscope?

Does it sound more like air whistling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does

does it seem to be running well? or is it a little rough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Running well

can you have somebody sit in the car and rev the engine and let off the gas while you stand in front with the hood open and listen to see if it will do it when not in motion?

I am wondering if it is the alternator or the water pump. I have heard alternators make terrible whistling sounds before but need to know if it will do it when not in motion

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried and cannot duplicate problem standing stil

Let me check for TSBs, hold on

Ok. No TSBs, so rather than have you check a million things, I am going to opt out so somebody who has experienced this can chime in. Dont accept my answer as I have not provided the solution to your problem. Sorry I couldn't have been of more assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spent 20 yrs as device advisor and I understand that you can neither hear, smell or see the problem. Guess I will have to take it in to be checked. Thanks for your time but I do not expect to be charged for this non answe
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, have you noticed a higher idle or lower idle than usual ?

have you checked the pcv hose or valve ?..jazzmaster ..