HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2014 FORD E450 CUTTWAY SUTTLE VAN THAT FRONT A/C CLUTCH KEEP

Customer Question

2014 FORD E450 CUTTWAY SUTTLE VAN THAT FRONT A/C CLUTCH KEEP OFF AND ON
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the most common cause of an ac compressor clutch cycling on and off when its on max ac and high fan speed would be either due to a low refrigerant charge of problem with the ac clutch coil being weak. Inspect for any leaks in the system first which would be fun since its a cutaway and possible an add on ac system tied to the main ac system. Look for signs of dirt/oil around the ac lines and compressor, condensor, coming out the evaporator drain.If you have a black light you can check for fluorescent dye or check for leaks with an ac sniffer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The system holds 1.88 lbs r 134 and that is what was recovered and recharged. The system operates normal and gets cold until after it has been run awhile, at idle it will cycle the clutch off for an extended period, 20 seconds, at which time the vent temp increases significantly until the clutch is again cycled on, for 11 seconds, and gets cold again. I've monitored the high and low pressure switches and found that neither were open circuit during the symptom nor was the system pressures abnormal, low at 28# ***** high at 240#. the vehicle has an additional ac system that interferes with inspecting the ac relay operation in the junction box. I hoped for any suggestions before I spent the effort in accessing the relay.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You can check for power and ground at the compressor and monitor the accs pid to see if the pcm is getting an ac demand signal to engage the compressor. If its blowing cold eneough the pcm will turn off the compressor to keep the system from freezing up;