Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

Im working on a 04' f350 with a 6.0L and a manual trans. the

Customer Question

im working on a 04' f350 with a 6.0L and a manual trans. the cruise control does not work. no light, no nothing. on first inspection i found the springs in the clutch position switch to be broken and the clutch master cylinder to be weeping into the switch. I replaced those. no change. I then tested the cruise control deactivation switch on the end of the break master cylinder. it gave me a partial connection with the breaks pressed and released. I replaced that. no change. I then went after the switches in the steering wheel I checked the resistance between the two wires in the steering wheel switch harness as per a test procedure i found online. I was getting the varied restance depending on the switch i pushed but my readings were all low and i had no change between any of the wires in the button harness when the cruise off button was pushed. I replaced the switches. no change. One peculiar thing i did notice. i was doing volt drop tests from the plug in the steering wheel to the plug under the dash to rule out a bad connection in the clock spring. I only have 11.3V coming into the steering wheel even at both sides of the the plug under the dash, but at the 15A horn relay fuse ( I am under the impression that this feeds the steering wheel, correct me if im wrong) I have 12.6V. Im not sure where to go next.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Well sounds like you have replaced almost everything in the system except for the cruise control servo. Do you have a test proceedure to test the system to the servo inputs to activate the sytem or do you need the test? Also all fuses for the cruise system are ok since you found the broken/shorted clutch switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not. I am under the impression that this truck does not have one. I thought that the cruise control is completely a function of the ECU. there is no throttle cable on this vehicle. It is diesel. There is no specific cruise control fuse that I can find
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok first see if it goes into a diagnostic mode as shown below and if you get any flash codes from the cruise control lamp:

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING > SPEED CONTROL > SELF-TEST DIAGNOSTICS

WARNING: This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in PARK only with the emergency brake fully engaged.

NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

1. Enter the Self-Test Diagnostics by pressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
  2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL. If the "ON" switch is not pressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is pressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

FLASHES SOURCE SPECIFICATION

FlashesSource

2 FlashesBPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped) is defective

3 FlashesDeactivator switch is open or circuit defective

4 FlashesVehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

4. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position.
  5. Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will not go into diagnostic mode
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok it does say it uses a speed control servo to actuate the cruise control.Here is the pinpoint test to check the system with no cruise

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

2 of 7 images

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

3

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

4

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

5

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

6

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

7. It says it uses one on the diesel application and its located on the right side fender. Unless the workshop manual isnt pulling up proper info on a diesel which is what im looking at

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think your looking at info for the 7.3L diesel. the 6.0 is totally fly by wire. I have looked all over and no such luck. I even called the local dealer and he says they do not have one on the 6.0L
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

ok it must be a misprint in the manual. If you give me the 17 digit vin I can reference through your vin. But being the case it would require a scan tool to run further diagnostic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1FTWX33PX4EB98188
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok all my listings even thru the vin and ford workshop manuals shop a servo but I know you are correct since its a fly by wire system so I will opt out and open this up to another expert to try and assist you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** the rear brake lights work? And does the brake light come on when the park brake is applied?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram with the affected fuses, make sure these are all good, then see if the park brake switch may be bad, it may be allowing voltage to the PCM and the bulb could be burned out in the dash. See if the ABS light is on also. If it is on, there may be a problem with the VSS signal.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Break lights work, break light on dash turns on and off as it should with park break pedal. I checked all of the bulbs in the dash. I have also now replaced the main break light switch. Oh yeh, no abs light. I did have the fuel gauge stop working for a short time today also.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scan tool to check for codes?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Does this have 4 wheel abs?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok I checked your vin, and it states you do have ABS, I would start here since you have no lights on the dash for ABS, check the ABS fuses. Here is a schematic to help out.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

If the fuses are ok, check for powers and grounds to the ABS module. Check for corrosion inside the connector at the ABS module. I would definately have this vehicle checked for trouble codes first, check all the modules not just the PCM.