Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a motorhome built on a 1994 Ford F53 chassis. The

Customer Question

I have a motorhome built on a 1994 Ford F53 chassis. The Fuse #5 (20A listed as Instrument Panel Lamps, Park Marker Lamps, Speedometer/Odometer) blew twice yesterday while driving. When it does, the speedo and odometer dies. I am pretty far from civilization. Is this something that is likely a sign of bigger issues? Any idea where should I look for the cause?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me like a short circuit causing too many amps to flow through that circuit and blowing the fuse. It might just be a short circuit in the speedometer branch circuit since it does appear to be acting weird.

What would you like me to suggest, leaving the fuse out until you can reach a shop or trying to diagnose and repair the problem your self?

If the later, you will need a multi-meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multimeter. I am an electrical engineer by the way. please let me know why can I do to diagnose
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

First thing is a wiring diagram. Let me see what I can find. then pull the fuse, place an ammeter in the fuse socket and get a reading. It shouldn't be over what that fuse is rated at of course, then disconnect each item on that circuit until the ammeter drops safely below what would blow the fuse. Let me get right back with the diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The circuit has less then 600ma current going through it. The fuse is rated at 20amp. So clearly this is a transitory situation.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

what is the fuse rated at?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

sorry, just seen that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

it shouldn't be blowing at that low amps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
obviously. clearly something happens occasionally. do you have experience specifically with the f53 chassis?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

no I dont

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I was looking for was specific info about the f53 chassis. sometimes issues are symptoms of bigger problems and should not be ignored.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I agree and I am having a problem finding a wiring diagram. Perhaps I should opt out. Do you agree?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Mike has opted out and will no longer be helping on this concern.

Would you like me to try and help?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have experience with the f53 chassis specifically? I know what is the generic cause of a fuse blowing. I'm only interested in help from people who have specific info to this prole for this chassis

Yes I do.

Have you found a scenario or component used that will make the fuse fail everytime, not just intermittent?

Hello again, I am sorry you were not pleased with my help.

I hate that you paid to get an answer but left, what appears to me, not satisfied.

Just so you know I am still here and available to help any day. We can start over fresh or just pick up where we left off.

Chris