Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I am trying to diagnose am intermittent grinding noise on a

Customer Question

i am trying to diagnose am intermittent grinding noise on a 2008 ford f150
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

When driving and this noise starts, if you immediately shift to 4 high, does the noise stop within 3 seconds?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working on this truck for a family member and have not experienced it firsthand.....what I am looking for is a clear guide to diagnose any possible cause and will work thru each system/part to determine if a component is not functioning properly..... I understand that this isn't ideal but my thinking is if I just go through as many parts /systems possible I can verify that they are not defective therby isolating the problem by process of elimination.... Also I noticed I clunking sound when shifting into 4low and slight clunk in 4high while truck is still and in neutral....is this noise normal....could the vaccum locking hubs create an intermittent problem but appear to function properly when the wheels are off the ground....is there a way I can inspect them by disassembly? Are there any common problems with these trucks I can check for? I also want to inspect the transfer case....do think this is wise...what are the likely causes for trouble?

"i am trying to diagnose am intermittent grinding noise on a 2008 ford f150" Being that you have not driven the vehicle and are not able to it does make it hard to pinpoint, diagnose, and repair for both of us. The front hubs are called integrated wheel ends IWE's. With vacuum they are unlocked, no vacuum and they are locked in. I feel like your grinding noise is the front IWE's trying to engage in 2wd from a loss of vacuum from the IWE solenoid on the firewall near the battery.

Some noise shifting in and out of 4wd high and low is normal from the transfer case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree that the iwe could be the problem....I have driven the vehicle...just did not experience the problem...I checked the vaccum solenoid and it is locking and unlocking the hubs as it supposed to...I thought that it may be possible that when the engine is under load it may be loosing vaccum and indeed trying to lock the hubs in 2wd...I just need some advice on diag. Procedures to confirm or eliminate the problem

You would need to first off find a scenario to make it occur each time, then disconnect the vacuum line to the IWE solenoid and monitor the vacuum while driving. It should never dip below 12 in hg.

Hello again, I am sorry you were not pleased with my help.

I hate that you paid to get an answer but left, what appears to me, not satisfied.

Just so you know I am still here and available to help any day. We can start over fresh or just pick up where we left off.

Chris