AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I replaced rear wheel bearings on my daughters 2007 Ford

Customer Question

Hi I'm Danny i replaced rear wheel bearings on my daughters 2007 Ford Edge just like a lot of the post say to do. Not To difficult but after all back together no more noise but ABS light Traction control light and Powertrain malfunction light on can't see or understand what i did wrong seemed pretty strait forward thanx for any help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am thinking that you ended up with either a damaged or disconnected wheel speed sensor. Inspect both wheel speed sensors and their wiring for any signs of damage. If they look good, then one of them is likely damaged underneath on the side that reads the tone ring. Did you end up disconnecting or removing either one in the process? Is your edge all wheel drive, or front wheel drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All wheel drive. I did not remove the sensor and don't think I damaged it but I will pull back apart and check but can't do it for a few days

I am fairly certain something happened with one of the wheel speed sensors. Any other possibility is just very unlikely, although it could in theory be something else, again it's very unlikely.

ABS lights are very common after doing wheel bearings. The wheel speed sensors are actually pretty delicate.

Since you have all wheel drive, check the condition of both the tone rings on the rear axle shafts. They have a bunch of teeth and are what the wheel speed sensors use get their information. They commonly crack and when that happens you will end up with the abs light. Grab a hold of them and try to turn them. They should not turn.

You dont have to take everything apart, in fact I would encourage you not to do that. Just inspect the sensors for any signs of damage, and their wiring. If they both look fine, then you will need a scan tool with abs to determine which sensor is damaged. Another possibility, and probably the most likely is, when you had your old bearing out, the rear axle shafts were obviously loose, and that tone ring I was just talking about could have very possibly hit or bumped the surface of the wheel speed sensor. If that happened, that sensor is bad. At any rate, you almost definitely have a bad sensor. Just a matter of which one.

The traction light is secondary to the abs light, and the powertrain light will almost certainly be relieved after repairing the wheel speed sensor as well.

Sorry it took me so long to type that. :/

If this answers your question, please remember to rate my service so I may receive credit. It is greatly
appreciated. If you have any other questions regarding this issue you can contact me right here at no charge
even after rating. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your automotive concerns.

Did you get it figured out?