HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport. After driving distances

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport. After driving long distances it doesn't want to start back up. This has just recently started. I have to let it sit for 30-60 min. then it will start back up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what engine is in the explorer a 4.0 SOHC or 4.0 OHV engine. Are there any warning lights on when it runs and does the red THEFT lamp flash fast when you try to start it and it wont run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The theft light flashes when you enter the vehicle, once you turn the key it goes to solid red for a sec then disappears. It has always done this. The check engine light is on and has been for awhile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to advanced auto they put a code reader on it, going from memory because hubby has the paper I wrote these down on there was a Bank1 error
a Bank 2 error
a catalyst error
and a intermittent misfire error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.0 SOHC
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The theft system apeears to be working ok. So next question is when it doesnt start does it crank over normally or the starter wont turn over the engine? If it does crank and wont start do you have fuel pressure and ignition spawk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter is turning over, it is trying to crank it acts like it is either not getting enough fire or not enough gas.
Do you think it is the fuel pump getting hot and not working until it cools or the ignition ??module?? (square box w/6 plug wires on top?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

That is possible which is why I was asking if you were getting fuel to the fuel rail, a fuel pressure test would be in order along with verifying if you have good blue ignition spark. If the check engine light comes on when the key is turned to on and goes out while cranking is normal operation and a good indication you have an engine rpm signal from the crankshaft position sensor to fire the coil and the fuel injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light stays on all the time
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok on the older models it should come on when the key is turned to on and go out when cranking the engine. If it comes on and does not go out you probably have an issue with the crankshaft position sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess crank position sensor is the best place to start it is the cheapest at least. I know the fuel pump is 200.00. The ignition module box thing is around 80.00.
The puzzling thing is why do I only have problems when it is hot? I was hoping that would lead to a more concrete hypothesis.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Because as temperature increases. resistance increases in an electronic componet, so once its hot it can be not working. Also evidence of a cooling system leak on the sensor can cause it to fail if say a water pump ever was bad and leaked onto it

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help or information please ask. if i was helpful please hit accept and leave positive feedback so I get credit for helping you