SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

When I first crank my 03 f150 it cranks and runs normal.

Customer Question

When I first crank my 03 f150 it cranks and runs normal. After 5 min or so the oil pressure gauge drops out and it sounds like the engine is about to fall apart. Can the oil pump work sometimes and not others?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.

What happens is the timing chain guides start to fall apart and pieces of plastic start to clog up the oil pick up tube.When the engine is turned off some of the plastic fall back down from the screen on the pick up tube and allow normal oil flow until the screen clogs again.Also if that is not the problem it could be a bad oil pump, because when you first start the engine the oil is cold so the oil is thicker as it heats up it thins out and this decreases the oil pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I suspected. How difficult is it to change the pick up tube?
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.

You can remove it and clean it.You will also need to replace the timing chain guides if that is the case.You need to remove the oil pan to clean it.What size engine does the truck have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4l triton
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.

To remove the oil pan the engine has to be raised up.Here is the procedure.