HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My 1994 ford thunderbird wont start. It cranks but wont turn

Customer Question

My 1994 ford thunderbird wont start. It cranks but wont turn over. It just wouldnt turn over one day. I waited about 30mins and tried again and it Turned over. ONCE i Drove off about 100yards it just died while i was driving. Hasnt Turner over since. Any idea what Could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

So the engine cranks but it doesnt run if Im reading that correctly. Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on and go out when cranking? Also do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail and spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I honestly dont have very much knowledge about cars. My Boyfriend is in jail right now so i AM in a bad s pot..Yes the check engine light comes on when the key is Turner and then turns off when i attempt to turn it over. How do i check the fuel pressure? Sorry probably an easy question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you read correctly. It cranks but won't run.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

No problem. On top of the engine on the intake manifold is the fuel rail it runs on both sides of the intake manifold a silver tube with the injectors on the bottom. On one side(think Passenger side) is a fuel schraider valve.Like a tire pressure valve. When you turn the key to on it should build pressure, you can depress it with a small pick or screwdriver and see if it spits fuel out pretty strong. if none at all, it sounds like a possible fuel pump issue or problem with the fuel pump inertia switch being tripped and killing power to the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so it's not spitting fuel. I've had fuel pump issues with my car before. How can I tell if it's the switch?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The inertia switch should be in the trunk compartment on your vehicle and is usually labeled it looks like a small circuit breaker with a red button on top. They are meant to pop up if hitting a hard bump or in an accident.If the button is in the down position you would have to check for power going to the inertia switch and ground when the key is turned to on(only does this for a few seconds. Since the check engine light comes on that means the eec power relay is working and powering up the engine computer, the eec relay energizes the fuel pump relay and sends power to the inertia switch and then to the pump. You can also spray a little carb cleaner into the engine by pulling back the air cleaner intake tube going to the throttle body and see if it runs for a few seconds off the carb clean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs when I spray the Carb cleaner into the intake tube.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

ok so its definitely not getting fuel so either an issue with the fuel pump or relay that sends power or inertia switch is tripped. here is a picture of the switch in the trunk side area should be either drivers or passengers side

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay found the switch. It appears to be down.. so now what?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Only thing left would be using a voltmeter to test the electrical part of the circuit. Is this a 3.8 or 4.6 engine? v6 or v8

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If its not getting power to the fuel pump, a diagnostic check for codes needs to be done with a scan tool. The fuel pump relay is part of a control module, it is not serviced seperately. Its called the IRCM Integrated Relay control module. Small box under the radiator support with a large electrical sqaure conector.looks like this

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm almost positive it's a fuel pump issue. About 8months back my guy replaced the fuel pump because it went out but he replaced it with another used fuel pump. So I'm assuming it has gone out again because he didn't want to spend the money on a new one??
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Thats possible especially using a used part. Just need to make sure the fuel pump relay sends power to the pump when the key is turned on for a few seconds. You can try kicking the bottom of the gas tank and see if the pump tries to come on. just dont want to see you buy a pump without testing teh circuit. It only energizes the pump for a few seconds when the key is turned to on and sends power all the time once the car is running. It primes the fuel system with pressure for a few seconds until it sees the engine running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. When I kick the gas tank what am I looking/listening for exactly?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

You are trying to kick the bottom of the fuel tank to stimulate the fuel pump, kind of like how you would tap on a starter motor when the motor is bad. Then just try cycling the key to on a few times and see if you hear the fuel pump humm or energize for a few seconds and send fuel to the rail and start the car. Its just a way of seeing if it will try to start, no guarantee it will

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help just let me know. if I was helpful please hit accept and leave positive feedback so I get credit for assisting you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just doing a follow up, do you need more help?