Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Miles to empty MTE display & Gas Gage fluctuatinf

Customer Question

Miles to empty MTE display & Gas Gage fluctuatinf dramatically. EX while car in park MTE jumped from 267to 272 dropped back to 263 then jumped to 294. Another example: filled tnk uo had 386 MTE drove 2m miles and MTE dropped to 255 and gas gage dropped to 3/4 of tank.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The problem you are describing is in most cases caused by a fault fuel tank sending unit which will also affect you MTE display as well. In order to determine if that is the cases you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open the steps. Take a look and let me know if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20gauge%20Oct%2016.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't connect to the link you provided for tests to run. Hoping this solves the problem already spent $680 on other parts that were supposedly going to fix the problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Try the link below again, it seems to be working okay on this end.