Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2000 F250 super duty with a 5.4 4x4, throwing codes

Customer Question

i have a 2000 F250 super duty with a 5.4 4x4, throwing codes p1747, p1760, b1892, b1871, b1884,and p1000. i have replaced coil packs injectors the transmission wiring harness, the tranny solenoid pack, map sensor, speed sensor, and maf sensor the pcm is refurbished it seems that the truck is in said limp mode. i have tested the solinoids using the wiring harness and it is pulling the right ohms only thing i did not test is if the pcm is detecting the same ohms... can you please help!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

hi there,

Ive noticed that you have replaced the transmission harness. that is definatley the first thing i was going to tell you to look at because it rubs against the pcv tube and sets multiple codes like you have. but ive seen that you have done this.

now, kind of a silly question, but did you check "EVERY" fuse in the engine compartment after that repair, as well as the interior fuse panels?

because they will blow muliple fuses when that harness gets burnt.

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me 10 minutes i have checked multiple times but once more cant hurt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.73 v all fuses are good

give me a few moments while i look a few things up

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 20 years old. $18.00 is a lot.

this is one of those problems that i wish i was there to go through.

this is a major problem that is not goin to be a quick fix. you are going to be into some heavy diagnostics unfortunatley. this is not a problem that is going to have a miracle answer. i wish it did

I dont mind helping out, but its not going to be a 1 answer thing.

i can only steer you into the right direction and help you check things and go the diagnostic route that i would follow and the rest is up to you if you want to tackle it.

we might not even be able to figure this out without some hands on technician digging into this unfortunatley.

I realize that $18 can be alot but it could end up costing way more, depending how far i have to dig into this.

please let me know if you would like to wait for another tech to follow up, where they have possibly had the exact same problem, and i will opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whats up with the 33 dollars am i still going to be charged that or just the 5 for you looking at the problem
?? and yes i say its alot because im already dumping ,money in the truck and $18 for a phone call is expensive

I have not received any payment yet, we only get paid when you are happy with the answer that you receive.

I am sorry though that you have spent quite a bit of money so far.

A shop can charge in the range of $100 an hour for tech diagnostics, so i dont think $18 is alot to spend for a techs time to try to help you.

I think it would be best if i opt out on this problem, and im sure a tech has run into a similar problem with your EXACT order of codes that might be able to pinpoint it faster than me.

Thanks for doing the intial checks for me and i wish you luck!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

The previous tech has opted out and will no longer post on this question.

The first 2 codes for the EPC solenoid 1747 and 1760 lets go after those first. Normally when you have these codes there is a wire short, fuses blown, and lot of other transmission and engine codes. Since you have replaced the solenoid pack and harness and the codes indicate a circuit issue that only leaves the PCM. So to prevent replacing more parts like you have already tried, lets diagnose. Can you do the steps in the link below?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/testE.pdf

The other codes are air bag system codes which will not effect the engine or transmission so we can diagnose those later, they are much harder to address.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems doable I will go through the procedures tomorrow morning

Super, when your ready reply if more help is needed or if you get stuck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looking at the procedure you sent in the link appears to be obd 1 i have obd 2 and i do not have a breakout box any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey can you find me a pcm plug in diagram

Ford stopped using OBD1 in 97, All the tests can be done without the break out box, I have not used one in about 15 years, they were more trouble some than good. Below is a PCM connector pin chart.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/PCMpin.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would you get around using the breakout box?? don't the pcm have to be plugged in as well?

You would use a pen inserted into the back of the PCM connector so you can test the wires while the PCM is still connected. You can touch your meter to the pen which is touching the wire terminal inside the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey just wanted to let you know I was not able to complete that test way to hard to see the wires much less probe the correct wires I whent and bought another computer and it fixed my whole problem thanks anyway I guess a remanufactured one was not good enough haha
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just for my info how do I go about dropping this question to get a refund?

Glad you got it resolved.