Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My daughter bot a 2001 Focus DX3. I changed the oil and

Customer Question

My daughter bot a 2001 Focus DX3. I changed the oil and cleaned the battery terminals, and the car wouldn't start. The dash lights come on, sometimes the speedometer and tachometer needles would go to the max setting, the anti theft lights stayed on for about 3 seconds, but the starter was dead. No voltage to the starter or park switch. found a ENG P/N 2W7J-19G367-AA tucked under the carpet with a momentary switch (2 brown wires). It unit seems haphazardly installed, like maybe the switch was supposed to be wedged on. I depressed the switch, and the car started right away. The next day, the same situation, but the reset switch didn't do anything. I had the car towed home, and while setting up to diagnose, I noticed the anti theft light just flashed while I turned the key this time. After several tries, the car started, the light remaining lit while the starter turned over plus about 3 seconds. She has only one key, an after market key, no remote. Does this sound like a key problem, a PATS problem, or a remote starter problem? If it's the remote starter, can it be easily removed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

i think it is a remote start problem they put in the bypass switch cause it kept kick the neutral safety switch witch will kill the car remove remote start just by a new ignition switch and put it in dont hook up the wire for the remote start you will be fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me apologize in advance for asking so many questions, but I'm not sure what I'm doing, and I can't afford to dig myself a hole that I can't get out of - I appreciate your patience. Anyway, two days before this happened, she tried to get an extra key made, but the key shop couldn't program the new key because she only has one programmed key. I just tried using that key to start the car, and the PATS light flashes very quickly, showing it knows its a bad key. I tried starting with the programmed key, and half the time the car would start with a solid light, half the time the starter wouldn't work but with the light blinking slowly, not quickly. That makes it look like that when the starter isn't getting the signal to come on, the PATS system isn't getting the signal to analyze the key. That sounds like there is more than one circuit in the ignition switch, with the one controlling the dashboard always working, but the one calling for the starter (and PATS system) not always working - but when it works, it knows whether the key is good or bad. Is that roughly how it works? Is that why you think the ignition switch may be bad? If the starter relay would fail, would that show the same symptoms as the bad ignition switch (changing a relay is cheaper and easier than changing the ignition switch)? As far as the Remote Starter goes, the "Programming/Override" switch isn't making any difference anymore, whether the starter works or not. But just to make sure we're on the same page, the Remote Starter has almost 50 wires going to it through 3 connectors. Do I just unplug all of them? Are those the wires you're talking about, or is there just one coming from the ignition switch?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

your right on how the circuit works their are 3 different circuits in the ignition switch their is accessory on and run as far as a bad starter solenoid it would not start at all there are about 50 wires that go to the remote start but only one wire that goes to the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which wire do I need to remove to disconnect the remote starter? If I replace the ignition switch and disconnect the remote starter, is there anything else that could be causing these problems? I’m out of town a lot and don’t want to leave my daughter stranded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed a new ignition switch and disconnected the wire to the remote start, and now the car still doesn't start but the horn blows continuously whenever the key is turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i check the sensor that reads the key transponder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up rewiring the remote start device so the horn would stop blowing. Sometimes the car starts, some times it doesn't. the PATS light either continues to flash slowly without the starter engaging, or it stays on steadily and the car starts. At times while the starter is turning, the light goes out and the starter stops for an instant, and then both come back on and the car starts. It appears something is making intermittent contact - something that allows both the PATS system and the start circuit to run or not. I replaced the $50 ignition switch as instructed. Is there a wiring diagram available?