Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a Ford Escape, 2008, Hybrid. The problem is: When

Customer Question

I have a Ford Escape, 2008, Hybrid. The problem is:
When turning the key, it is very hard to start the vehicle.
This is progressive problem,
In the past, pushing in the key firmly would start the engine. As time went on, the problem became worse. The ignition switch has been replaced with a genuine Ford part.
The problem was better but not fixed.
Now, it is almost impossible to start the vehicle. No amount of pushing the key in, wiggling and twisting helps. The engine will start after 10-20 minutes of trying.
The problem seems to be in the “linkage” between the key cylinder and the switch.
What is your opinion on how to fix the issue or is this a dealer only fix?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The problem is the key cylinder housing which connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch. Below are directions to replace this. We have seen this on many Escape and Mainers.

Ford calls it the Steering Column Lock Module in the shop manual but the parts department calls it the ignition housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, see it in the exploded parts view. Looks like this would be a real bitch to remove because the need to cut a slot in the screw.Hopefully the dealer will be able to do the repair in one day.Thanks for the info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also looks like the steering wheel need to be removed or is shown removed for ease of illustration?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

No, the steering wheel does not need to be removed. We use a sharp chisel to start turning one of the bolts and they turn out by hand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer. I'm in Southern California and hopefully the dealers will be able to get the part and complete the repair in a day.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

They should be able to do it in under a day.