Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I recently purchased a 2006 Ford Ranch Expedition. This

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2006 Ford King Ranch Expedition. This vehicle has been in 2 accidents. Once accident was minor and the second accident the vehicle had to be towed.
Since my purchase, there is a "whooping" sound that emits from the second row seat area. I have taken the vehicle to various repair shops and they just scratch their heads. I have recently changed out the stereo for a navigation system (thinking the "whooping" sound was in the speakers) - the sound is still with me.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Melinda
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Is the sound occurring while off, idling, driving, inside outside?

Does the noise effect the vehicle in any way other than an audible noise?

Is it like someone smacking a cardboard box with their hand?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Driving and idling. And, it can be often some days and there are days when I don't hear it al all. Only inside. My brother is an experienced A/C guy and he has never heard this sound before. Two other repair mechanics said they didn't have a clue. Since it is a "Ford", thought it best to ask a Ford mechanic. It doesn't seem to be affecting the mechanics of the vehicle. Assuming it is just audible. However, recently, I have been hearing a "clunk" noise in the front of the car (outside) when I make a turn (backing out of the driveway or backing into a spot), can be a slight turn or full turn - this too only happens intermittently. I took it to a repair shop yesterday and drove around with the mechanic and it "never" made the "clunking" noise. I am assuming these are two separate issues.The "whooping" noise is just that a "whoop" - nothing like hitting a cardboard box with your hand. If you are familiar with a TV series called "The Middle", the youngest son makes a "whooping" sound and this is what it sounds like. I really do not want to pay an additional $18.00 to demonstrate how this sounds but will, if needed.

Thanks, ***** ***** 2 different issues, we are only allowed to assist on one issue per post though. So I will stick with the original concern mentioned. I am familar with the show but am typing here while its on and never have payed enough attention. I asked my wife to mimic the noise. She did and if that is what is occurring, then you need a new vehicle LOL. So I will not use her description of the sound. I believe what your hearing is the auxiliary climate control making this noise, either a mode or temp door or actuator.

Open the liftgate, place your hand and ear to the rear quarter trim. While the engine is running have another SLOWLY change the rear temp and air flow direction. See if this noise ever occurs and if it does let me know when.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had both actuators replaced. Also, I drove the vehicle without the a/c on to see if that was the issue - it still made the "whooping" noise.

Thanks for doing that test and ruling out the climate control. I need you to ride in this seat that its occurring at and try to get me a general area where the noise is originating from if you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no "specific" area that I know of other than it sounds like it is in the seat directly behind the driver.

Can rear passengers feel it?

Is it coming from the seat or door?

Diagnosing noises over the internet are the toughest we have to address since our ears not being there hurts.

Is there anything more you can give me than intermittent whooping noise in the rear drivers seat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing to feel - just the noise. And I am assuming it is in the passenger seat behind the driver. My dad was sitting in that seat and my sister sitting next to him and she said it sounded like it was coming from my dad's seat. I suppose it could be coming from the door however, when I first heard it 5 months ago (1 day after I purchased the vehicle), it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger seat. Only now does it sound like it is in the passenger seat behind the driver. My work phone number is(###) ###-#### The next time you reply, I will request you call me and please call me on this number.

I can not diagnose a noise over the phone any better, but another will call and you all can start over fresh on this concern if one offers to accept the call. Try opening and closing the doors in the rear while listening from the inside and outside for any difference in the left and right doors closing. Try a full and empty fuel tank to see if its baffle in the fuel tank broken. Check under the vehicle for a broken exhaust hanger. The only Ford message and the cause I find 90% of the time that fits is the rear climate control, though your checked and ruled it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replacing the actuators took care of the climate control?My brother has had his own A/C shop for 26 years and knows his stuff very well and only works on domestic vehicles. He has never come across this issue before and indicated it has nothing to do with the a/c. He suggested I contact a Ford mechanic. Other than this "annoyance", this vehicle rides and drives nicely. If I try to get out of it, I would have to disclose this issue to the new owner. I would prefer to have it corrected if possible.I will have my mechanic check out the baffle in the fuel tank. I normally keep my tank full however, I have had it as low as a quarter of a tank and still hear this irritating noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your time.

Thanks, ***** ***** tomorrow try to get me another description of the sound and its origin and any particular circumstance that makes it occur. I have also searched youtube videos and none have a whooping noise like you mentioned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't surprise me......this is par for me. I always seem to get the "oddities".Again, thank you, Chris.

Your welcome

I really hate that you came to Just Answer, paid to get an answer, but appears like you left not happy nor pleased with my help. I am still here available to help more. We can start over or just pick up where we left off. Let me know what I can do, so you will be pleased with my assistance.

Chris