James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited. I get the following

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited. I get the following message "fuel gage op 1 2-e only". My fuel gauge works good from full to about half a tank. As soon as it reaches a little lower than the half way mark it drops all the way to empty and that messages comes on in the message center. After refilling it with a full tank, gauge works again up to half a tank and then drops to empty and the message comes on. I have tested the resistance on both the dr and pass side fuel level sensors, they seem the same and good. I did purchase replacement fuel level sensors (Motorcraft PS305) and replaced both the dr and pass sensors in the tank. But the problem did not go away. The car is still doing the same thing. What else could be causing this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you use the same part on both sending units?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The kit came with a left and right sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of the sending units.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It shows me as this is only one sending unit? The passenger side of the tank is half to full on the fuel tank. The driver side where the fuel pump is from empty to half tank. They both read different resistances as well.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to test the resistance of each one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't they worked that way.Do you want me to read the resistance on them while they are in the tank via the connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got 2 sending units in that kit. The driver side had a short rod w/float. The passenger side rod was three times longer.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Knowing what the resistance is will help. If you have a way to test for codes in the instrument cluster it will help also.