Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Friend of mine is getting ready to take s 1994 ranger 2wd

Customer Question

friend of mine is getting ready to take his 1994 ranger 2wd 4.0L in for smog test, check engine light is on. i have very limited resources even though i am a current ase master, ase gold card carrier myself. DTC 34 and repl EVR recommended by another tech since there was only 7 in vacuum to valve. the light came on a year ago when tran modulator leaked fluid into engine up vacuum line. i assumed the CEL would be related to the O2 sensor. I used vacuum pump function test on egr and idle dropped significantly, and i had already removed the EGR to check the passages which all looked clear. Cleared codes but the Code 34 came back still. i with out many tools, i have to go buy and dvom and vacuum pump. any help i can give this guy would sure be a feather in my cap. Appreciate your help. I used this site once before when my brake warning light was stuck on and buzzer was screaming on my Cornwell Tool truck back in 2009. I was also a Cornwell dealer from 2008 to 2012 before becoming disab
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Actually on the 1994 the code should be three digits and that would make your code a 334 which can be set due to a bad EVR or a bad EGR position sensor which is more common. I have enclosed the factory pinpoint test in the link below so you can determine which is failing. Copy ad paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps. Run through them and see if this will help you nail this down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Code%20334%20Oct%2015.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without a star or super star digital i was thinking this was a two digit obd1 vehicle. i was a chassis and driveline master with ford, certainly not a engine performance or senior master. thus my code background was mainly in brake and front end which i did -with ford for 20+ years. Enough of my excuses!!
So the only code reader i have access to is the Actron CP 9015 and it has lights that flash, so the codes i get now is 341 and in continuous memory DTC 214. i do have the octane plug removed cause the owner said it has pinged going up hills since he bought it new. And the CEL didnt come on till a year after that was pulled. i have read on the internet just now that DTC 341 is informational only and that 214 is for loss of cylinder number 1 signal to ecm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am assuming that 341 wont set the light and i need a diagnostic flow chart for code 214?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The code 214 in most cases is set do to a failing Camshaft Position Sensor . See the steps in the link below to check it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/cam%20sensor%20Oct%2015.pdf

Code 341 suggests that the Octane Adjust (OCTADJ) plug is disconnected which it is so its not a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i see enough of a variance in the ac voltage out of the sensor with a dvom set to ac voltage or does it have to be a lab scope? we do live out in the sticks too and i did just see a bunch of fiberglass insulation fuzz from inside the tool shed walls all piled on top of the lower intake. like i said i limited tools out here and all my stuff is in storage. i have a dvom, vacuum hand pump, actron code reader, and power probes one, two and three. plus hand tools and thats it. no lab scope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You really need a lab scope to get an accurate reading. Sounds like you may be dealing with some rodent damage if you have a nest on the top of the engine. Have you looked to see if any of the wiring may be chewed ?