Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2011 F450 with 58,000 miles. Here recently when

Customer Question

I have a 2011 F450 with 58,000 miles. Here recently when trying to start truck with the key, it surges( tries turning over multiple times) and wont start. Its almost as if the battery were low. BUT, when i use the remote start, it fires up just fine, with no hiccups. Any ideas on what it could be??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Which engine do you have?

Does this issue occur on cold startup as well as hot restart?

Once running does it run flawless?

With the key are you saying it cranks slow?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has the 6.7, it started out a few weeks ago only on cold start ups or when the truck hasn't been ran for a couple weeks. But the other day it did it after I had drove it out the driveway, turned the truck off for 45 min. And once it's running it runs fine no issues whatsoever. But I have noticed that the check engine light comes and goes every so often.

Have you had it scanned to see which codes are stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't had it scanned yet, I didn't know if it was a known problem for that year truck. And I use the factory key to start it. And it doesn't crank slow, (it tries to crank, pause, tries to crank, pause, tries to crank pause). I'd never really turns over

So it acts like your bumping the key in the start position rather than holding it there. SO the engine spins, stops, spins, stops, spins then starts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does it if I bump the key or hold it. But sometimes it takes probably I'd say 10 to 20 seconds if it even finally starts.

Thanks, ***** ***** just trying to imagine I am there experiencing it. Can you do the test below? I will be offline for a bit coaching soccer tonight.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/6.7starterrelay.png

I really hate that you came to Just Answer, paid to get an answer, but appears like you left not happy nor pleased with my help. I am still here available to help more. We can start over or just pick up where we left off. Let me know what I can do, so you will be pleased with my assistance.

Chris