Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I'm sean my son left my keys on all night on my 97 f 150

Customer Question

Customer: hello i'm sean my son left my keys on all night on my 97 f 150 recharged battery but now it will not start it cranks over but has no fuel pressure at the rail ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sprayed a little either it tried to run but died switch was left on till battery died
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes sir thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

First of all, is this a gas engine?

Second, can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a gas engine, no and there is no pressure at the fuel rail
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is close to what I asked, but I asked if you can hear the fuel pump run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I want to look at the wiring diagram but I need to know what engine came in this?

Also, have you checked the fuel pump fuse and relay and inertia switch if it has one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6 v8, and yes it has all been checked
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, exactly what were the results of these tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse is good and the relay was good and the inertia is on. can leaving the switch on till the battery is dead kill the pump.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

In the power distribution box, these fuses should be checked, fuse #24, fuse #19. In the junction box fuse/relay panel, the fuse #30. No, the pump would shut off after 2 seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check those.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here are the wiring diagrams,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything else I need to check
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the fuse pump relay has no power with the key on run, check that pcm power relay. But first check the fuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the fuses are good, no check engine light or trouble codes
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you test both sides of each fuse with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light? If not, do that. Then remove the fuel pump relay and test the prongs in the socket for voltage with the key on run. You will have to have someone else turn the key to run cause you will only have 2 seconds to test one of those terminals.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

One terminal in the socket should be hot with the key off, that comes from that fuse #19 in the pdc, the second should be hot with the key on run for the first 2 seconds, that comes from that pcm power relay.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Actually it may stay hot, I think it's the ground circuit and the ecm that stays on for those 2 seconds. Either way, there should be 2 spots in that fuel pump relay socket hot with the key on run. either all the time or for only 2 seconds. So let me know.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

So, if only one spot in the fuel pump relay socket is hot with the key on run, check that pcm power relay in the same manner. Remove the pcm power relay and test the socket for power. One spot should be hot all the time, that comes from that fuse #24 and an additional hot when the key is turned to run, that comes from that fuse #30.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will check and thank you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Any news yet? I am going out soon to work on my own car, so if you reply, I'll respond when I check back in.