Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

It is located right in front of the front axle, I am trying

Customer Question

It is located right in front of the front axle, I am trying to get advice upon if it should be fixed or just part it out. I slid off the road Labor Day weekend on a pizza delivery and hit a tree, you can imagine how damaged the cosmetics is considering
the cross member is bent, its almost dead center. The motor turns over fine, besides the cross member, the cosmetics would need to be fixed and the fan behind the radiator because the radiator bent into the ac condensor thus into the fan and busted it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

If it is welded in, it is not recommended to replace because during the collision it has pulled the frame rails together. Although a body shop can straighten the frame the best they can and cut out and weld in metal to address the cross member. It will not be perfect, though it would work for a 97 model that is just not worth all that much money. All the repairs combined are going to cost more than the vehicle is worth. There are no replacement steps from Ford nor my body repair manuals because its not recommended to replace it when this part is damaged.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

I really hate that you came to Just Answer, paid to get an answer, but appears like you left not happy nor pleased with my help. I am still here available to help more. We can start over or just pick up where we left off. Let me know what I can do, so you will be pleased with my assistance.

Chris