A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

What does the antenna control module do on a 1995 ford

Customer Question

what does the antenna control module do on a 1995 ford thunderbird?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, a ctually the module and the antenna are kind of one in the same and same location, The module? It s enses when full down or up and does in fact cutoff the antenna,Right front inner fender, I have not been able to locate factory repair information for the antenna but Both are located close to each other, The issue is most likely the module and not the motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The power antenna control module is not located with the antenna, according to the ford service manual it is located right behind the glove box. Trying to determine what is causing the motor to continue to run after the antenna has reached the proper height. The antenna goes up and down and the radio has reception, just the motor does not stop running when the antenna is going up. Was told by a stereo shop that the power antenna motor was bad and needed a new antenna, which they wanted to sell to me. just trying to find out what the antenna control module acutally does with reference to the up and down action of the antenna.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I was having to work off a wiring diagram schematic for the module location, I am sorry in that it is not a clear as it should be, May be best I opt out and open the post to the other experts and one should be along soon to continue helping, I am sorry I could not, Just not enough repair information on my end to assist with more details back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to know if the module controls the stopping of the motor to raise the antenna. would rather replace the module than the antenna.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does the antenna motor keep running when the antenna goes all the way up?
And does it bring the antenna all the way down when the radio or key is turned off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the radio is turned on the antenna goes all the way up, but the motor does not stop. When the radio is turned off,the antenna goes all the way down and the motor stops
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The problem is the antenna mast which has a plastic cable like a zipper that runs off the motor which has a gear on it to run the antenna up and down. You will have to replace the antenna mast, but first, you will have to remove the antenna assembly which includes the motor, and take the cover off the motor and remove the broken off bottom half of the plastic cable. Then reinstall the antenna assembly back under the fender and leave the cap off. You will need an assistant to turn the radio or key on and off to pull the cable into the motor. Below are the directions to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update and instructions. Would still like to know just what the power antenna control module, which is located just behind the glove box does?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The Power Antenna Modules senses the radio turning on either by the button on the radio or the ignition turning on and it directs power to the antenna motor to either raise or lower the antenna.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** info
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome,