James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I am trying to figure out why my dashboard lights are dim in

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out why my dashboard lights are dim in some areas, and why my power point on the dash does not work on my 2000 ford excursion
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, part of the dash lights work but other spots are dim? Is this correct?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The front cigar light is fuse 3 in side the interior fuse panel. The power point is fuse 5 under the hood in the fuse panel. These are both 20amp yellow fuses. This will correct the power point unless the socket itself is bad. The dim instrument cluster is going to be one or more burnt out light bulbs. That is why they look fun is not all of the lights are working. The best thing to do is remove the cluster and replace all of the lamps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
part of the dash lights work but other spots are dim. The power point is fuse 5 under the hood in the fuse panel. These are both 20amp yellow fuses. - How do I change it? - The best thing to do is remove the cluster and replace all of the lamps. - How do I do that?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The fuses you can just use a small pair of pliers and pull the fuse straight toward you. The fuse will pull out and you can install a new one. I would only attempt repairing the instrument cluster if you are comfortable working on vehicles. To remove the cluster you need to remove the front panel trim. The front panel trim is one large piece that snaps out while pulling straight towards you. When you have it pulled forward a few inches you can unplug all of the connectors that are attatched. Once you do this there are 4 7mm screws holding the cluster in. Disconnect the plugs on the back and the shift indicator if installed and remove the cluster. If you have never done this you can go to you tube and they have videos on removing the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not work, I am sorry to have wasted your time.Thank you.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Replacing the bulbs didn't work?