Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

While working on the overhead console in my 2004 Explorer, I

Customer Question

While working on the overhead console in my 2004 Explorer, I inadvertently shorted out the dome like resulting in a loss of significant component functionality. The car runs, but I have no interior lights, instruments, radio, climate control, power windows, moon roof, etc. I do have headlights, tail lights, turn signals, power seats, windshield wipers, etc.
I've checked individual fuses both under the dash and under the hood and everything tests out OK with my continuity tester.
Currently looking for a wiring diagram to get more clues like some kind of sub-panel fuse or ??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have a voltmeter or test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked relevant fuses and many others with my continuity tester
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, in the fuse box under the dash, there is a accessory delay relay, do you know where this is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition to fuses, there are about 14 relays listed in the owners manual for the under hood fuse panel. None are labelled "accessory delay". There is a 60A cartridge fuse labeled "Delayed accessory, Power windows, Audio". It looks good and checks out good with the continuity tester.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

this relay is in the fuse box under the dash, not in the engine compartment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, let me check
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know when you locate it,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Relay #3
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, remove the relay, and on th ebottom side of the relay, there will be numbers stamped on the relay, identifying each pin, they should be 30,85,86 and 87, then you need to check the socket where the relay plus in, you should have power on pins30 and 85, do you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking, might take a bit of time, kinda hard to get to the under dash fuse panel
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's buried up under the dash where I can't get to it... Should I just replace the relay? I might be able to reach up and to that.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

not yet, the relay supplies all the things that do not work, but we need to see if the pin 30n and 85 have power, before we replace anything,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any clues on how to access it?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

you may have to drop the fuse box to access it,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll disconnect the battery and try that
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

we can check a few [power supplies for that relay, it may be easier than dropping the box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That might be better. It's not obvious how to drop the box
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, in the fuse box under the hood, there is a circuit breaker 47, can you check this circuit breaker, and also in the fuse bix under the dash, fuse 17 also goes to this relay, can you check both the circuit breaker and the fuse, and see if you have power on both sides of each?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under dash #17 definitely has power both sides. Under hood #47 horn relay, hard to tell since it has 5 poles. Definitely power on one side from the battery to two of the poles. Tried sticking a small wire in the other side while plugging in the relay, no power, though not sure it was because of the way I tested it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Horn works
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

this is not a relay, it is a circuit breaker, in th diagram below, it is labled "F1.62"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll check #62 Power Window CB. #47 in the owners manual is the horn relay.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

yes, check that and see if power is on both sides?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Confirmed. Power both sides of the CB
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, now we need to go back and see if both the pins 30 and 85 have power at the relay, I know its tight, but we need to know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll go back to researching how to drop the fuse panel
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Another thing we can try, at the dome light assembly, there are 4 wires, how many if any have power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, both 30 and 85 have power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since it's out of the car, I'm bench testing the relay now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bench test of the relay, ussing gthe method in the link below, shows connectivity and that it's working properly.
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/relay-bench-tests-2
Arrgh...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

OK, DID YOUHAVE A CHANCE TO CHECK THE 4 WIRES AT THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE AND SEE HOW MANY HAD POWER?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
I need to put the relay back in to test the 4 wires, which may take some time.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

yes , I will be on and off all day long,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thanks
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

you bet,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the 4 wires going to the dome light have power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if I mentioned, the car does run and drive, but I have no tach, speedometer, climate control, or audio. No gauges including fuel, temp or oil pressure. None of the idiot lights come on as the key is turned on to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While working on the Accessory Delay Relay under the dash, I also checked the Battery Saver Relay which was also good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there today?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, the power from those come from the battery saver relay, if the 17 fuse is good, then the batery saver relay is getting power on 2 wires, but not getting a ground from the instrument cluster, can you remove the relay and see if the 86 has a good ground,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll check it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no 86 on the Battery Saver Relay, it's a smaller relay. Did you mean the Delayed Accessory Relay position 86?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the battery saver relay may be labled 1,2,3 and 4, is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Ok, pin 2 should have good ground, with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pin 2 on the Battery Saver relay is grounded with key on, key off and even when the battery is disconnected.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, if you have power 1 and 3 of the battery saver rely, and a good ground on the 2 pin, but no power going out to the dome light assembly, then you have a bad relay, or a open wire inside the fuse box,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have power to 1 and 3, and ground to 2. I bench tested the relay, in fact, I swapped it with another relay and both bench tested good. Must be a fried wire.
When I accidentally shorted the dome light (which started this whole mess) I didn't smell electrical smoke, so I expected a blown fuse. As I've said, it's affecting a ton of other things. Would a fried wire to the dome light cause all the other components to fail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's a fried wire, I would expect it to be part of fuse 17. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the problem......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a seemingly unrelated 15A fuse for the courtesy lights that blew when the dome lights were shorted. Shocked that it affected so much stuff.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Glad you got it fixed,Tim