Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLC with 78000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLC with 78000 miles. Bought it used at 45000. Recently began to just "quit" while driving in city or freeway; engine just loses power. If I let it sit for 30-60 minutes it would start and run fine for several days. Fully checked out by mechanic, found nothing. Last time it happened (after scanning internet) pushed fuel pump reset button under dash and restarted immediately and ran fine. What is wrong? how should it be evaluated?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Are you able to perform any diagnostics yourself?

When it stalls are you applying throttle, coasting, braking, or stopped?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Applying throttle, driving 30 - 120 minutes without incident, stop and go and constant run, car running at 30 - 65 MPH, no warning, no warning lights; then suddenly engine dies, put it in neutral, coast to side of road. Engine will not restart except after long wait or single time I pushed the fuel pump reset button. I have no capability to do diagnostics; my car knowledge is amateur level.

Thanks, ***** ***** found out from the shop once already they found nothing wrong. However the reason for that is because they did the diag when it was starting and running fine. This is one of those circumstances techs dislike. The only way to figure this out is to diagnose it after it stalls and will not start. At that moment the fuel pressure and ignition spark and injector pulse have to be tested to see what is missing. This will not tell you what is wrong but it will tell you where to ficus future diagnostics till you get it narrowed down to the culprit. I believe it was just coincidence the inertia switch pressed helped. This switch should only trip in the event of a collision or very harsh bump. I wish I could come out and just say replace X or Y but I can not with the current info, though I could help diagnose it but you would need someone to assist you with car knowledge. It may be helpful to try your best to find a situation where this occurs all the time so you could take a tech on a ride along with you.

I hate that you spent money to get your question answered, though left not pleased with my help. I am still here available to help. We can start over from the beginning or where we left off.

Thanks Chris