Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

I have accidently added 1 gallon of def to a full tank of

Customer Question

I have accidently added 1 gallon of def to a full tank of diesel in my 2014 f350 we are in salt lake headed back to Canada
What should I do ? It was started and ran for not more than 20 sec
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, One gallon of what? def?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry def yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, what is "def"

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added 1 gallon of diesel exhaust fluid to
The diesel fuel tank
Diesel fuel tank was full
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I am not a diesel tech but now know what def is, I will opt out and open the post to the other experst, sorry for the misunderstand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2014 f350 with 6.7 ltr diesel
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Different expert here. Running it for 20 seconds with a full tank of diesel and 1 gallon of DEF will have been enough for the DEF to enter the fuel line and to the high pressure pump and injectors.

Not going to be fun considering where you are on a salt lake, but if you want to prevent $10K or more damage to your vehicle, you need to drain the tank, then add new diesel fuel.

Even though it is diluted by the full tank of diesel, running ANY DEF thru the system will destroy the pumps, the filter and the injectors.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I suspected
No problem truck is being towed as we speak it was about 1/3 gallon of def to 40 gal of diesel
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, like I said, 20 seconds of running it with a full tank and only 1/3 gallon of DEF wouldnt damage the system as that is no where near enough time for it to get into the fuel lines. 20 seconds wont even burn the fuel from the high pressure pump back to the filter. It only burned what was in the high pressure pump.

So no worries on this. Just have it drained and new diesel put in and you are good to do

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?