Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My brake lights stopped working on my 97 Tbird my mechanic

Customer Question

My brake lights stopped working on my 97 Tbird my mechanic changed the brake switch & that worked until today also at the same time its very hard to shift out of park
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

The first thing we need to make sure of is that all 3 rear brake lights the lower 2 and upper one illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed. They should come on and remain on after pressing the pedal 1/2 inch. The shifter has an interlock solenoid that prevents shifting from park unless the the brake is pressed and the solenoid on the shifter energized. I bet so far with no diag done yet its the brake switch or the wiring right bear it with the issue.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the 3 brake lights work they did initially after my mechanic checked everything and found nothing besides replacing the brake switch which he did it worked for 5 days now the lights dont work and its hard to shift again.

At the BOO brake on/off switch on the pedal, test the light green/red wire. It should have battery voltage. Then test the light green wire, it should have power when the brake pedal is pressed. If those pass then there is a break in the light green wire after the switch.

I hate that you spent money to get your question answered, though left not pleased with my help. I am still here available to help. We can start over from the beginning or where we left off.

Thanks Chris