Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Ok I'm really confused i have put about 5 new alternators on

Customer Question

ok I'm really confused i have put about 5 new alternators on my 2006 ford 6.0 each the newest one is a reman rotorcraft alt. with a volt meter not running the batt. started out today at 12v and now sit at 12.5v with the truck running at the parts store it was reading 13.17v and now with it running the meter only reads 13.3v so just because I've been so frustrated with the whole deal i decided to pull the + on the batteries to verify that the alt. was working and as soon as i did the truck died i can't think of any thing else it could be can you help me out thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't that have 2 alternators? I have a 2005 F350 with the 6.0l and it has 2 alternators.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you have a multi meter by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter and it only has 1 alt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have any suggestions
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, 1 alternator. Let's assume the alternator is fine. It might be the wire itself, so let's compare the 2 tests, one at the battery positive post and the 2nd at the back of the alternator at the positive B+ post, with all accessories off nd the engine reved up to 2,000 rpm. The voltage at both spots should be between 13.2-15.5 volts.

Let me know the results of these 2 tests.

If, the voltage is more at the alternator than it is at the battery, the thick wire between the battery positive post and the alternator B+ post is bad and most likely corroded on the inside.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you complete those 2 tests?