Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

1991 Duckworth w/ Ford 302 Redline. is Holley motorcraft

Customer Question

1991 Duckworth w/ Ford 302 Redline. Carburetor is Holley motorcraft 4barrel. 8jlbaa0m7 is printed on the carb. Issue is low speed throttle. Idles fine. When put into low speed gear, hot or cold, engine hesitates and coughs, then runs good at mid and high
speed throttle. Also it can backfire, really loudly, when put into low speed gear. I am assuming carb needs cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner and maybe check timing too?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Replace the accelerator pump in the carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. That must be it. One thing; I'm a journeyman outboard tech w sterndrive maintenance experience, and want to get a good grip on this. Is there any chance there is also clogged fuel flow in the low speed jets?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean the idle circuits? No, you said the idle was fine. The jets are normally main jets, not low speed jets.

It's easy to tell if it the accelerator pump or not. With the engine off, open the choke, look down the carb air horn and then snap the throttle open. You should see a stream of gas down into each front barrel.