AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

1978 FORD F 100 351M NEW STATER, NEW ALTERNATOR, NEW BATTERY

Customer Question

1978 FORD F 100 351M NEW STATER , NEW ALTERNATOR , NEW BATTERY AND SELINOID,STILL WANT START.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Since you have specified that you replaced the starter, is it a safe assumption that when you turn the key, the engine does not crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO ITS WANT CRANK

when you turn the key, do you get any noise at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what noise are you hearing? is it a loud click of your starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
STARTER SOLENOID

So when you turn the key, your solenoid is getting power. Have you checked to see if the power is being sent from the relay to your starter motor with a test light?

when you turn the key, do you just hear one single click, and that's it, or do you hear a grinding kind of sound that continues the entire time you have the key turned to the start position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ONE CLICK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ONE CLICK THATS IT

You are certain that your cable connections are good? Check every cable connection for the battery. The ground to the vehicle, positive connections, etc. That system is a pretty simple system. If you have a clicking at the solenoid and your starter is not turning then you either have a dead battery (which you have replaced, so i doubt that's the issue), or a bad starter ( which you have replaced) or a bad connection or bad ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CHECK ALL THAT AND STILL GETTING THAT SAME CLICK

Unless the clicking your hearing isn't the starter solenoid. Maybe it would be a good idea to verify with a test light that your solenoid is getting power? Maybe the clicking your hearing is the starter relay mounted on the fender.

Did you try bypassing the relay with a pair on channel locks or something by touching the large terminals together?

does the item that's clicking look like this thing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YET IT GOOD LIKE THAT

Ok. have you replaced that item? Can you touch those 2 large terminals together with a pair of channel locks or something similar and see if your engine turns?

If you would prefer a phone call, I can call you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have to accept my offer before I can call, but I can call immediately after accepting.

Have you replaced that relay that I have pictured?

Did you need further assistance? If you need more assistance, please let me know. If my answer has helped you please remember to click accept and rate my service. It is greatly appreciated as that is the only way I will get credit for my efforts.