Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKZ AWD with the 3.5L motor. After

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKZ AWD with the 3.5L motor. After driving 25-30 miles (Highway) then slowdown to a stop sign, turn right after stopping, then accellerating modestly back up to 45-50, as I get upto about 25mph I get a "Rumble strip" noise from the right front wheel. If I brake to 10mph it goes away, but returns as I again accellerate. Again I brake and turn the wheel hard left or right and again slowly accellerate, once I get smoothly above 40mph it does not reoccur. This does not occur all the time, mostly after a steady drive of 55-70 for at least 10-15 miles, and only after a slow to stop or slow right hand turn. The noise is just like the right fron wheel is driving on a Rumble strip.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

When this occurs are you still in the turn or have you straightened out?

Along with this noise is there a feeling?

When it occurs does it effect the engine, transaxle, steering or brakes?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After completing the turn and have staightened out going straight in a normal accelleration starts after reaching about 20-25mph.
Feels like the right front wheel/drive axle, as if you are driving on a rumble strip. Does not affect engine, steering or brakes.

Thanks, ***** ***** occurs does changing the throttle amount or applying the brakes make it come and go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as it starts I brake and slow down, once I am under 10-15 it goes away but might come back if I accellerate too soon.

For this concern it would best to experience it. Based on your explanation I believe this may be the torque converter clutch chattering. For that you can often service the trans oil and use an additive like lubegard to address it.

Another possible cause is a broken loose exhaust heat shield that is rattling once it gets bowed or flexed in a certain way from this special scenario you must duplicate to make this occur.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a recall notice in mid year 2014 after we bought our 2014 Ford Taurus. I mase reference to the right drive shaft being too short and causin separation in high mileage vehicles. The 2014 Ford Tarus and 2008 Lincoln MKZ have essentially the same drivetrain. Would this be a possible cause. My 2008 Lincoln has just under 170,000 miles with two transmission flushes (60,000 miles and 100,000 miles) . Could it be due for another flush or is it the mechanical reason?

I do not show a recall on your model for the concern you had on the Taurus.

Yes axle half shaft issues can be possible though you would feel a vibration at all times over about 30mph.

This is a mechanical failure as best I can tell from your explanation.

I recommend servicing your vehicles transaxle oil at the latest every 60k.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try getting the transaxle serviced first. I don't have a constant vibration only during the initial accelleration after a turn. This does not occur on a cold start, only after driving 15-20 miles. Thank you.

Thanks for rating my response.

I hate that you spent money here, and left, what appears to be not pleased with me or my help. I am still here and available to help. We can pick up where we left off or start over.

Chris