Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 200 toyota corrola is showing NOT READY cat conv eff and

Customer Question

My 200 toyota corrola is showing NOT READY for both cat conv eff and oxygen sensor. The dealer said it needs cycles even though I have driven EVERY day since June when battery was removed/checked. What can I do to get these sensors ready. 2 years ago I took it to dealer 4 times. Each time they said drive more.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** is a specific drive cycle that needs to be done for each monitor and you need to make sure pretest conditions are met. Here is information on drive cycles, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/thi4eoigdjfilp5/monitortoyota.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not a mechanic. I do not have test gear for the OBD system. Which drive cycles do I perform to make the Catalytic Converter Eff READY from NOT READY. Which drive cycles do I perform to make the OXYGEN SENSOR change from NOT READY to READY? How many cycles of each should I do as I have no way to verify until I visit the dealer or a mechanic for the 3rd time. FYI-I am located in Illinois and my initial emissions test result was REJECT by the Illinois Air Team facility. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You only need to do the drive cycle 1 time. You can do the driving part without paying attention to scan tool details. If your still not able to get it ready then I'd ask dealership to do drive cycle with above information. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan. I will try the drive cycles this week. I plan to head to the dealer next week to have them check with their diag tool. If it still shows not ready, I will hand them a printout of the PDF you provided and an old Toyota document that I found. I also plan to leave my car with them and have them get it ready. One of the reps in their service department actually said that replacing or disconnecting the battery has NOTHING to do with the OBD sensors being NOT READY. I am not a car mechanic but I do know enough that if the car computer memory does not have some type of power available it will lose data from its memory...unless of course it has non-volatile memory such a flash memory or a flash memory card. Their staff gives car mechanics a bad reputation as they treat me like an idiot, ignore logic and my past similar experience from 2 years ago. Thanks for your help and I will send you a followup email next week to let you know how things go.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into more questions. Thanks.