Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2004 ford f 150. I turned the key it barely cranked

Customer Question

I have a 2004 ford f 150 . I turned the key it barely cranked for a second then went dead as if the battery was dead. I checked the battery, all lights seem strong. I even disconnected the terminals and tried to jump stat with no luck. When I turn The key nothing happens.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

What liter engine?

Automatic or manual transmission?

New or old heritage body style?

If you remove the starter relay, hold the key in the start position, are there 2 pins there with battery voltage?

What does the theft light and check engine light do with the key in the RUN position?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.6L, automatic transmission, light just stay on. Not sure on the starter relay.

Thanks, ***** ***** need to know if this is a heritage or new body style. The theft light should not flash nor be on with the key on, can you double check that? When can you check the starter relay? Will it crank and start in neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a heritage body style. The only lights that show and stay on Are the battery and , engine. Light. It will not crank in park or neutral. Not sure where the relay is under the hood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first tried to start it it cranks very slowly as if the battery was dead and then went dead from that point on it did not crank when you turn the key just a battery and the check engine light was on

Thanks, ***** ***** heritage model the starter relay is above the passenger valve cover on the firewall. Is the small wire tan/red and small stud, showing power when trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it might be the new style body. Any quick suggestions on what the problem might be.

A quick suggestion without doing diagnostics is the starter is faulty or the transmission range sensor is faulty. Do realize I can help you diagnose this but it requires you doing some work.

I hate that you spent money here, and left, what appears to be not pleased with me or my help. I am still here and available to help. We can pick up where we left off or start over.

Chris